2 year-old toddler found dead from heat in bed was reportedly starved and deprived of water by his mother
On Tuesday August 11, a young woman called for help after discovering her 2-year-old son unconscious in his bed at the family home in Mechelen, Belgium.
The help, arrived on the scene, could not but note the death.
The victim succumbed to dehydration combined with malnutrition. The child had stayed too long in his bed, in an overheated room during a heatwave in Belgium.
According to the prosecution, the child had not received a drink for a long time.
The little boy would have been malnourished by his mother as revealed by his size too small for his age and his state of extreme thinness. Her older brother, 4, was with her father at the time of the tragedy.
Cindy, the 22-year-old mother, has been indicted for “manslaughter” and “starvation of care resulting in death”.
The grandmother does not believe in this version. She said her two grandchildren were well fed and had enough to drink. Rather, she thinks her grandson was weakened by the heat
The mother’s pre-trial detention has been extended for a month.